You all know how much I love chocolate, right? Chocolate in any form is a good idea: ice-cream, chocolate meringues, brownies, chocolate cookies, chocolate biscotti, chocolate robots, chocolate on a spoon, chocolate souffé... anything chocolate! (Granted, the only kind of chocolate usage that I am not okay with is in pollo al chocolate, but that's a story for another day...) I have told you lots of time that this or that recipe is the ultimate chocolate delight, but to be honest: I am only sharing the real deal with you today. I knew that this had to be my post for the July craft challenge: baking.
This French chocolate cake is the real deal because...
- ...it is an original French recipe, brought to our family about two decades ago by a French exchange student (biscuit au chocolat is what it's actually called)
- ...it is moist and crunchy and scrumptious at the same time
- ...it isn't nearly as much work as one would think
- ...it stores really well - even after three days it tastes almost as perfect as on day one
- ...when I die I want to be buried with one of these cakes. That's how good they are.
- ...even Coca approves of it:
Anyhow, enough bragging for one day, right? Here's the recipe:
- 9 ounces of dark chocolate
- 5 TS water
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- 1 cup ground almonds (or ground hazelnuts if you prefer those)
- 2/3 cup flour
In an extra bowl, mix the egg whites until they're stiff. Carefully fold in the egg whites.
Put the mass into a cake pan. In a 10 inch cake pan, it takes about 45 to 50 minutes at 280°F. The cake is done when it is a bit moist in the center, but crunchy at the top.
I know that this hot weather doesn't exactly call for baking and chocolate cakes, but if you try this recipe you will be happy you did!
If you like this post, I would be beyond ecstatic if you became my follower.
That way, you won't miss any posts!
PS I know that promoting a healthy lifestyle instead of promoting chocolate indulgence should be my goal, but chocolate is just my guilty pleasure. I promise I don't eat it all the time ;-) What's your guilty pleasure?





No comments
Post a Comment