We wanted to incorporate a subtle travel theme through our wedding because we have spent so much time travelling to see each other. For new readers, who might not know what I am talking about, my German husband and I met in Australia, and then spent time travelling between Germany and England until I finally made the move in December. Every summer holiday we spent together, seeing parts of Europe including a road trip through Spain and Austria. Our first date was in London; our first holiday was in Berlin, and the question was 'popped' in Budapest. It really is a international relationship! The table-centres were all based on places that meant a lot to us and were easy to make.
I adapted this tutorial from my blogging buddy Anja's State Art tutorial, that she posted as part of our Craft Challenge in 2013. As soon as I read the post, I knew that I wanted to steal the idea for our wedding. The only thing I changed was to use thrifted map paper and the country outline instead of coloured paper and state outlines. I found the country outlines on a website like this one, that I found via Google. The maps were all found in charity shops over a couple of months, but if you are more prepared than me, you can always keep tourist maps that you pick up in the countries as you travel. The more obscure the location, the less likely you are to find it in your local charity shop. Darwin....I am looking at you there! We kept hold of the maps to help us make the favours (more on that in a future post).
| Photos by Sonja Rode at Lichtfang Photography Kassel |
The best part about this craft, is that we have kept all of the table names and they will soon be transformed into wall art in our new flat. The frames came from Ikea ( Ribba frames) so we know we can always add to the wall as we go along in our new lives together travelling the world.
Do you have a special place that you share with your loved ones? What were your wedding tables named after? Do you have any map-inspired art you want to share with me? Get in touch and let me know!
No comments
Post a Comment