Friday, November 16, 2012

Craftbotic Book Club - What will its future be? YOU decide!

Before I launch into book club nattering, I realised I had yet to publicise my giveaway winners. The lucky ladies have been emailed and prize donors you will hear from me over the weekend.
The winners are:
Yellow Prize Pack - Rebecca A
Green Prize Pack - Brittany H
Pink Prize Pack - Joni T
Blue Prize Pack - Karrie S
$30 Sassy Lemonade credit - Breenah A
 
I know guys, it hasn't really been a Craftbookish Friday for a couple of weeks now. Last week we had my Facebook Follow Fest and before that well, we shared some of our life changing books in a link-up.
 
Despite folks voting for 'The Dead Women of Juarez' to read this round of book club, I don't think there is going to be anyone else reading along - the crime genre book didn't go down so well, which is a shame as I love to read a wide variety of literature. As much as I love teen dystopian literature, there's only so many books in a row I can stick.
 
Having said that, when I finished reading 'The Dead Women of Juarez', I wasn't bowled over. Drugs, boxing, and some pretty corrupt police made it harder for me to engage with the characters and I think my cultural distance from the borders of Mexico meant I found it harder to relate. Did any of you guys get a copy to read? If you did I will hold a one off link up near Christmas to share your reviews.
 
I would love for Book Club to be really successful and have lots of people signing up. Therefore I would love your help in working out how this might work going forward. Here are my current options. If you can leave a comment and let me know what you think, then I will make a decision by next week.
 
OPTION A:  We have a different genre of novel each time. Suggestions will be given by readers and then we'll vote on what to read. We will have a link up after one month and share our reviews before starting the process again. We'll try and arrange a G+ hangout to discuss the book too!
 
OPTION B:  We have a different genre of novel each time. I make suggestions which are then voted on by the readers. We link up twice over 6 weeks, one after three weeks and then a final review at the end. We'll try and arrange a hangout in this option too.
 
OPTION C: We all read our own novels and write about them in a monthly link up. By linking up we can get more recommendations of what to read and still have an opportunity to interact with each other.
 
 I'd still REALLY like to read a crime/detective book together and would recommend something completely different like The Number One Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. I've read all of them and would love to go back to the beginning and start again. I will wait for your comments on the options above though before I get too excited.
 
Until then....
 Photobucket Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
SHARE:

6 comments

Starr said...

I'm not a huge fan of large book discussions and prefer being exposed to many different works, so option C. But I read a lot more than novels, so it'd be a hodge-podge from me.

DearKrissy said...

I'd be good with options A and C...but, I'm going with A, because I want to reach beyond my comfort zone as far as Literature goes! :)

Sassy Lemonade said...

I like Options A & C

Allie @ The Gypsy Teacher said...

Most definitely option A!! it will help us branch out and expose ourselves to all different genres. I've always wanted to be a part of a book club!!

Cody Doll said...

I agree with everyone about option A. I think that is the best.

Anonymous said...

i didn't read the book this month because it wasn't available at the library... i prefer option A or B for the future.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig